Categories:

What we would like to see at Barlow for next year

11 Views
DIsney theme mentioned in article
DIsney theme mentioned in article
PNGwing

The Bruin Banner surveyed 135 Barlow students to see what they would like to see in the following year. We got many different responses that would be great additions to the 2024-2025 school year. Among the question topics are theme ideas, small changes, books in English, parking passes, field trips, and electives. 

Top Five Themes 

1. Decades
  2. Costumes
  3. Disney
  4. Fortnite 
  5. Pirates 

We also collected some great dance ideas such as Masquerade and Night in the Clouds. 

Students were also surveyed on what small changes they wanted to see for Barlow the following year. The overwhelming majority said that they wanted a change in the bathrooms. Many people would like to see the bathrooms being unlocked. Students need to use the bathroom, and having many of them locked makes it difficult to find one that is open when a student needs it. Students are aware that there are people who go into the bathrooms to skip, see friends, or do not school-appropriate activities in the stalls, but by adding a bit more surveillance on the bathrooms, this could be avoided.  Another thing that was brought to my attention is the lack of clean bathrooms. Students want to be able to go to the bathroom in an area that is clean and smells nice. The rest of the majority said things like more trash cans around the school and in the parking lot, towing people who don’t have parking passes, more security, etc. These are just some of the small changes students want to see in this next school year. 

76.1% think that the price of parking passes should be lowered. 

We have some field trips at Barlow for some classes such as AVID, Art, Band, and Choir, but where would the students like to go on these field trips? Next to each location is the number of votes. 

1. Colleges (12)
  2. Museums (8)
  3. Oaks Park (3)
  4. OMSI (3)
  5. Zoo (2)
  6. Hospitals (2)
  7. Aquarium (1)

Some books we read in English students like, but there are also some that they dislike. Around 30% of the students said they did enjoy the books that we read in English, but about 16% stated that they were too dark, old, not set for the grade level, and more. Students enjoyed reading “To Kill A Mockingbird,” “Julius Caesar,” “The Sky Fisherman,” and others.

We have many electives here at Barlow, But some are missing.

1. Cosmetology  
  2. Zoology 
  3. Psychology classes 
  4. Nursing
  5. Social Media Marketing 
  6. Auto Body 
  7. Home EC 
  8. Boxing 
  9. Swimming