Categories:

Band Brings Pep To The Stadium

Symphonic and Concert bands bring the pep to the stadium and field with the great leadership of Nikolas.
Zoie Stayton

Barlow’s Pep Band, composed of 100 students from Symphonic and Concert band, brings school spirit into every game they attend. Whether on the court or the field, the energy that the band brings lifts players and fans alike.

Westin Glover, a bass player and member of Pep Band, commented on the community saying, “You can talk to anyone, there really aren’t any cliques.”

Pep Band is an amazing community to be a part of and is a key factor in Barlow’s school spirit. Pep Band plays at all home football games, playoffs, and they even have a pep band for basketball. There are a total of 15 different instruments on the Pep Band that are split between the band’s 100 students. 

Hannah Caputo, a flute player,  also mentioned, “One thing about pep band that I enjoy is the fact you get an hour a day to do something you love.”
The variety of musical styles is definitely something that draws students in, when they perform at the games, they play a variety of genres of songs. They play Smoke On The Water, Shut up And Dance, Smells Like Teen Spirit, September, Batman theme, Star Spangled Banner and much more. “It’s a different experience when the crowd sings along to Sweet Caroline as the band plays,” Nikolas expresses. They not only play to boost morale, they also play for the cheerleaders.

If you want to be a part of Pep Band and raise morale and excitement at games there are a couple of requirements. You’ll need to be a sophomore and above, sadly no freshman can be a part of it just yet. Pep Band only practices once a day, to be a part of pep band you need to be in either Symphonic or Concert band for the football season and Jazz Band for basketball.