Categories:

Fuel Up and Gear Up with The Den

The Den is opening in the first week of October on Thursdays and Fridays. The image and article above were created.
Alex Kahl

The long-awaited opening of The Den at Sam Barlow High School occurred during the first week of October! The Den is a student-run store open during lunches on Thursdays and Fridays. It is located outside the 100 hall near the cafeteria.

The Den sells merchandise, flavored and blended energy drinks, and snacks like chips and popcorn. The students continue to improve and develop their store. 

According to Sofia Potts, Jaidyn Worley, Logan Wright, and Billy Moore, “We’re planning to buy a kettle and start selling hot drinks; apple cider now, and hot chocolate in December.” Their prices are relatively low with drinks costing $5.00, popcorn $1.50, and the merch around $20. 

The students themselves are very responsible and smart, Ms. Lamoureux even stated “The students create and run the entire store from designs, to sales, even operations.” They have to order and sell all the items within the store. 

In order to become a part of The Den, you must first take Intro To Business, Marketing 1-2, and 3-4 as prerequisites. Taking marketing 5-6 will allow you to participate in running The Den. According to the student workers, “The Den is a fun experience, like a rush of energy. It’s really cool having your peers see you in this position.” 

Ms. Lamoureux strives to make The Den a positive and kind environment. Their shop helps them develop good customer service, along with “people and business skills and time and money management.” Learning these valuable skills are vital for business success. These are some of the many benefits from joining these classes. The Den can help prepare you for future jobs or classes in college. 

October’s infamous Pink Out will be from the 14th through the 18th! During school sports and games, students will wear pink clothes in support of breast cancer research. The designs for Pink Out merchandise have been completed and are being sold in The Den. There are many other themes for the sports games as well, and students and staff can find themed shirts and other goods in the Den on Thursdays and Fridays!