Get Clued Up About DECA

Anita Lamoureux

DECA participants hold up the “DECA diamond” sign at a competition.

Are you interested in finding a club to join for the next school year? DECA is looking for more students who are willing to partake and participate. 

DECA stands for “Distributive Education Clubs of America,” allowing students to learn and compete in role plays and case studies relating to the different marketing aspects. DECA advisor Anita Lamoureux states, “DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. We take what we learn in marketing class and practice it in the real world with competitions.” There are currently forty-four Barlow students partaking in DECA; you must be enrolled in the Marketing Program to participate in this club.

Senior Sandra Hanna explains, “it’s about learning and practicing life skills like communication.” DECA helps prepare students for the future. It helps their critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, creativity, and innovation skills. Lamoureux says, “students that participate in our Barlow DECA chapter grow in confidence while building their 21st-century skills.” 

After a challenging year of practicing these skills, DECA members get the opportunity to show off their capabilities in competitions against other schools. State-level competitions start in February up until May. If students qualify, they will continue the competition process for International level competitions in April. “These competitions consist of three categories: case study role-plays, written projects, and multiple-choice testing. Each of these relates to a specific business area – like Sports Marketing or Finance as two examples,” Lamoureux describes. 

Competitions include partner events as well as individual events. Senior Sophie Bier explains, “we are usually presented with an issue and assigned a role in a company involving a judge acting as our supervisor.” Because of Covid policies, competitions have recently been online, requiring DECA members to submit videos, online presentations, and timed question exams. 

In reward for not participating in DECA online anymore, members are glad to have many students involved this year while learning, teaching, communicating, and presenting excellent life skills to themselves, industry professionals, and other individuals. If you have any questions in regards to DECA, see Ms. Lamoureux in room 115.