Winter Sports Starting

Barlowgirlsbasketball Instagram

The girls basketball team won the diamond bracket championship.

We just ended the fall sports season that included football, cross country, volleyball, girls soccer, boys soccer, and water polo. 

Congratulations to the girls’ water polo team for winning the state championships. Good job to all of our fall athletes. 

We need to build on our successes moving forward and be grateful for what we have accomplished on and off the field or court and carry those accomplishments forward because Winter sports are back! 

Barlow students and staff are excited to see the student-athlete’s accomplishments that are, without a doubt, in store for this winter season.

The winter sports season includes both boys and girls basketball, wrestling, and swimming. Boys basketball’s head coach is our very own English teacher, Mr. Tom Johnson. The Girls Basketball head coach is Mr. Nick Hudson, a community legend. Wrestling is led by Mr. Rod Heiser this year who stepped in this past year for Coach Head. Swimming is coached by Ms. Angela Miller, our incredible aquatic director.

While tryouts have already happened, supporting the teams has only just begun. Tickets can be purchased at the door on game nights, but make sure that you bring your student ID card with your ASB sticker to get in for free.

Proceeding into the winter sports season, there are Covid restrictions.The more we take precautions now, the more freedom we can have later and hopefully get to a point in high school where masks are no longer required. While we are not there yet, that glorious time is on the horizon.

Athletes are still required to wear a face mask when entering and exiting practices and games. Students are also required to wear it when sitting on the bench and when participating in any physical activity. Athletes also have to social distance as much as possible. However, the state mask mandate has recently changed to say that outdoor mask wearing is unnecessary even in crowded outdoor spaces. For now, masks are still required indoors, especially for spectators. If you feel the sniffles coming on, please stay home to prevent the spread of Covid and other viruses.

If you need help or have any other questions call the sports hotline at 503-258-4900. You can also contact the head coaches with any questions about specific events or sports. Even though sports have not been the same, students are glad to be back. Athletes are looking forward to seeing you in the stands this season. Go Bruins!