New Year, New Classes

Adayah Trickel

The forecasting sheet for Students

Throughout this month, counselors have been coming to your classes to help guide you through the forecasting process. The forecasting sheet and the form on StudentVue were due on February 24 in your Advisory class. If you haven’t turned them in, do so ASAP!

If you want to know what each course is all about and what each class does, make sure to check out the course guide on the Barlow website under the counseling tab.

Make sure you choose classes that you actually want to take. You will not be able to drop any class next year.This forecasting process is a yearly occurrence for Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors. While Seniors have their own forecasting that they do with an academic advisor from the college of their choice, all of the rest of the Bruins at Barlow are working with their counselors to create their schedules for next year to ensure that they are on track to graduate on time. Remember to make sure that you have submitted your forecasting choices on StudentVue and on paper ASAP complete with your class choices and your alternates. The counseling staff needs your forecasting forms to create your schedule for the 2022/2023 school year. If you are unsure if you’re going to continue as part of the Bruin family next year, still complete this forecasting form just in case. If you have any questions, make sure you ask your counselor and your teachers. Make sure you choose classes that you actually want to take. Mr. Rethwill, a counselor at Barlow, recommends, “Students should know their limits and expand them. Choose challenging classes or any you enjoy.”  You will not be able to drop any class next year.

Most classes are the same as in years past, but there are some additions and changes to Barlow. The new classes for the 2022/2023 school year are Exploring Computer Science 2, which is the continuation of computer science 1, and Accelerated Math 2/3 is a combined math class of integrated math 2 and 3. This is a fast-paced advanced class. Some other classes are getting a name change. Honors English 1-2 and Honors English 3-4 are now called Pre AP Language Arts 9 and Pre AP Language Arts 10 to better prepare you for AP Language Arts in your Junior and Senior years. Renaissance Leadership is called Exploring Leadership. Kadet Teaching is called Education Internship 1 and 2. Spanish for Native Speakers is now called Heritage Spanish. Family Living is now called Integrated Relationships in which you will hang out with a fake baby for a few days. Lastly, Early Childhood Education is now called Child Development 1 and 2.

Take a look at your transcript for the classes that you have taken in the past. If you have any classes that have F or NG, make sure you talk to your counselor about getting back on track to graduate. Credit recovery is available during the summer.