College and Career Center Helps Bruin Thrive

Sam Barlow High School Logo

Barlow Website

Sam Barlow High School Logo

Sam Barlow High School was recently recognized for helping low-income and first-generation students pursue a college degree or other higher education certification after leaving Barlow’s halls.

According to a study done by the University of Pennsylvania, “more than two-thirds of students whose families are in the lowest quintile of income attend two-year institutions or less. Just 4% of such students attend highly competitive four-year institutions.” In contrast, 33% of students whose families have a higher income attend more highly competitive colleges and universities.

Barlow guides and gives out many college-related opportunities to students (mostly juniors and seniors). The College and Career Center has a two-week long effort in November to help students apply to college called Bruins Go To College. During the two weeks, they have schools visit to share information about their campus, workshops to assist kids in doing their application, and they do FAFSA help events. They also hold a very successful Career Day that includes all students from every grade level. This year’s Career Day involved over 70 speakers from a variety of careers and programs. If you would like to learn more about Career Day, bruinbanner.com has an article about the highlights.

The efforts were made by the College and Career Center, which is run by Tia Molony, LindaLee Fraser, and Patty Neuenschwander, as well as the school’s activity director, April Anderson, who helped Sam Barlow get commended by our state office, Oregon Goes to College and College Goal Oregon and nominated by OGC and ACAC. The College and Career Center is proud to say they helped a number of students apply to colleges.

“I’d like to acknowledge that Patty works timelessly to inform seniors about their options. Without her “mothering” them, the rates would be drastically different. Additionally, I want to thank so many teachers who share the opportunity of continued education. The more you know the more students can pursue their dreams!” said LindaLee Fraser about being recognized for helping students on their journey to a college education.

In the future, Sam Barlow High School will continue to help and support fellow Bruins that they feel prepared and inspired for their future. If you have any questions or need help on your path to becoming your most successful self, go visit the College and Career Center and introduce yourself to Patty, LindaLee, and Tia. 

Barlow High receives award for making college dreams come true