Meet Your 2023-2024 Bruin ASB Officers

WeAreBarlow Instagram

The elected 2023-2024 Barlow Assistant Student Body Officers and their positions.

Every year, 10 Assistant Student Body (ASB) positions are elected at Barlow. As the 2022-2023 school year comes to an end, it is time for the current ASB officers to bestow their positions to the new officers. Here is a brief look at who won the 2023-2024 elections!

Lilly Knight was appointed as next year’s ASB President. This upcoming senior will be tasked with numerous responsibilities, including overseeing all other ASB officers and class council representatives, organizing leadership meetings, and leading school wide assemblies or activities. Knight has all the necessary tools to accomplish these requirements due to already being the FCA leader, Kairos student leader, and current Publicity Manager. Knight also expresses her openness to new ideas and exclaims, “I am so excited to be Barlow’s president and I will be working as hard as possible to make our school events the best they can be next year!”

Serving as ASB Vice President will be Camden Pate. Pate is a three-sport athlete and the current ASB Treasurer who is looking to expand his leadership involvement in the upcoming year. He will help lead projects and committees, as well as step in for the president shall Knight ever be absent. Pate also vocalizes his intentions for next year by saying, “My goal is to make the activities more accessible to everyone, so every student at Barlow can experience and enjoy high school and feel connected.” He also thanks the student body for this opportunity and reminds everyone to have a great summer before returning in the fall.

Bruin pride is not taken lightly by Dylan Howell, making him the perfect Spirit Commissioner. Howell, a two-sport athlete, understands the importance of student involvement at athletics and strives for all Barlow athletes to feel supported by their community. Some of the many ways he hopes to attain this goal is through organizing spirit dress up days, competitions and coordinating with other officers to advertise events. Another substantial task at hand for Howell is to preside over the Super Fan Squad, a group of students who are extremely dedicated to showing their Bruin pride. Howell looks forward to bringing school spirit in the upcoming year.

Ever feel like your ideas and thoughts aren’t represented to teachers and other adults in the building? As Site Council Representative, it is Addison Kenoyer’s job to represent the student body’s thoughts and input on issues to the staff. This is done once a month in a staff meeting where Kenoyer advocates for students and voices a teenager’s perspective on many matters at hand.  Just like many other students of Barlow, Kenoyer enjoys relaxing, hanging out with friends, and going to Our Coffee House, making it that much easier for her to understand and relay the thoughts of students to teachers.

Barlow hosts many dances and other fun events for the student body, all of which take great planning and flawless execution, but none of it is possible without student attendance. Thankfully we have social media and junior Brooke Rinard, the Publicity Manager. Rinard has been tasked with making all the social media posts for Barlow’s social media pages. This way all sports games and activities are filled with student support, and students are always aware of anything else that may be important at Barlow.

The objective of every event at Barlow is to create a fun and safe environment. However in an instance where an unexpected turn takes place, the Sergeant-at-Arms is tasked with coordinating with the fire marshal and any first responders. This year’s elected sergeant happens to be the same as last years, Kaili Sheldon. The junior to be is very familiar with all the tasks required of her such as attending monthly meetings, ensuring all events are up to fire codes, and helping plan the events themselves.

Another returning ASB officer is the Recording Secretary, Elaina Oommen. Her role is to ensure the leadership class stays organized to produce the best events possible. Oommen shares that she has been a part of Barlow Leadership since freshman year, so she knows exactly what should take place, not only in her role, but with others she has closely worked with. She also notes one of her goals is to, “…incorporate feedback and ideas from the student body into events to make them the best they can be and so that every student feels that they are being represented well.”

A similar role to Recording Secretary is required of Emma Sadiq as Corresponding Secretary.  Sadiq is currently on the Speech and Debate Executive Council and the Vice President of Key Club, giving her the great ability to communicate well with others and balance a demanding schedule. This involvement helps Sadiq strive in her role as she works very closely with all committees to maximize their effectiveness. Lastly, Sadiq wants to ensure that she is very open to new ideas, stating, “I firmly believe that embracing diverse perspectives and fostering a collaborative environment can achieve great outcomes that benefit everyone involved.”

As much as leadership loves putting on events and activities, nothing comes without a cost. In order to ensure these activities are fun, but not out of budget, the Treasurer tracks all expenses of Barlow events. This year, Olivia Maestas will be preparing all of the budgets, and distributing costs among events, to guarantee all of the forecasted events can be organized effectively without losing profits. Maestas states, “I want people to be excited to come to school next year because of fun activities and days that we are having at school. Being a part of the leadership program has made me really enjoy coming to school, so I want everyone to feel the same way when they walk in our school building every morning.”

Finally, Olivia Howell will be fulfilling the position of Historian. As Historian, she is tasked with thoroughly documenting ASB activities through photos and videos. This ensures everything is executed to leadership’s fullest abilities and prevents them from running into the same obstacles in the future. Howell served on class council her freshman year and is now expanding her leadership responsibilities going into her sophomore year. Although the youngest ASB officer, Howell holds a simple goal she wishes to accomplish and that is, “…to help make next year super fun!”

All ASB officers look forward to representing the Barlow student body and putting on the best possible events to enjoy. Additionally they are all prioritizing student feedback in the upcoming school year to make the best high school experience, for as many people as possible.