Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

What Freshmen Need to Know

Dreamstime
What Freshman should know

Here’s a list of things to keep in mind if you’re new to Barlow this year.

1. Involve Yourself

Getting involved in a wide variety of clubs is a great way to make friends rather than having to just force yourself to talk at ice breakers during class. There are a lot of sports at Barlow that almost anyone can do such as football, track, and basketball. If sports are not your cup of tea, Barlow has a variety of clubs such as Equestrian Club or Key Club. If you can’t find one that you like, all you need to do is find an advisor and create your own. 

1. Show Up to Sporting Events 

One thing that is super important to our environment is our student section. At football, basketball, and volleyball games it is important to be loud, dress up for the themes and showcase your Bruin pride. Don’t be the odd one out just wearing a t-shirt and jeans in a student section full of neon. Be creative and spirited.

1. Follow @wearebarlow on Instagram

Our Instagram has a lot of important information on it, like themes for games and events at the school. This also shows instructions that are on advisory slides in case you miss those. Although you could hear the information from your friends or the announcements, Instagram is where everything happens first so you can be the first to know. 

1. Surround Yourself with a Good Group of People

There are almost two thousand people at Barlow so it might take a while to find your people. However, once you do, don’t be afraid to make new friends and make connections with other people. After you find your solid group of people, have fun and look out for eachother even when things get hard.

1. Have a Good Study Habit Routine 

If there’s a lot that you’re involved in outside of school, or you prefer to chill at home, it is still super important to set up good habits for yourself as you begin this new transition. Buy a planner and set timers for yourself. If you need help, make a study group with people who are in similar situations or classes as you so you can work together. It might be hard to get it started but once you get into the swing of it rather than waiting until the last minute, your assignments will be done on time and you’ll have more time to have fun. 

1. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help

There are a lot of things that are stressful in high school that can be very different from middle school and it can be scary. If there’s something bad that you see happening, tell an adult immediately. If you need help, ask a teacher. That’s what they are there for. If you are experiencing a lot of stress, our school has a lovely social worker (Katie Ray) and you can make an appointment with her in the counseling office along with our other wonderful counselors. They are there to help and support you and your fellow students.

1. Have a Positive Mindset

While there are a lot of things going on, it is important to be optimistic and think of everything you can do, don’t tell yourself you suck. That language is pessimistic and it is important to use the right mindset and use the word “yet,” because you still have 4 years to learn the ins and outs of Sam Barlow High School.