Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

What Bruins Think we Need to Leave in 2023

Youtube/MetriGirlzStation
The Josh Hutcherson “whistle” edit picture.
  • Fortnite: I honestly forgot Fortnite existed until everyone went feral over the new season, and I don’t get the hype. You could hide the entire time and only kill the last person, yet still win, which makes no sense.
  • Taylor Swift: A lot of people want the Taylor Swift hype to be over next year. Someone even said that Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce “should burn in eternal damnation,” which might be a little dramatic. Unfortunately for everyone who is tired of Taylor Swift, she’s probably not going to drop off the face of the Earth before 2024. 
  • “The Smell”: I think everyone agrees that the hallways usually smell like body odor, but unfortunately, it’s probably too late to get rid of it. The walls have absorbed the smell at this point, and it’s never leaving.
  • Homework: I understand why we need homework. It is so we can never escape the torment, even when we are not at school.
  • Skinny Jeans: To each their own, but personally, I got rid of all of my skinny jeans three years ago. 
  • Stanley Cups: I could see either side of this one. They’re cute, but how do you have the arm strength to carry them around all day?
  • Negativity: I’d love to see it, but people are going to keep hating. The haters will stop at nothing to see your downfall. 
  • Teachers Not Allowing AirPods: Teachers can’t teach if you can’t hear them, but I understand in some situations, such as work time, listening to music isn’t going to hurt anything. Just please remember that no one else wants to hear your music, so keep the volume at a reasonable level.
  • The Josh Hutcherson Whistling Videos: I’m not tired of them yet, they’re still hilarious. 
  • Short Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks: I agree, it seems like our breaks get shorter each year. Since when do we have two days of school in our first week off for winter break? I don’t understand the point. I’m probably going to make paper snowflakes and watch Christmas movies in most of my classes for those two days.
  • War: A lot of people said that we need to leave war behind, which is surprising because it seems like a given. I think most of you are talking about the Israel/Gaza conflict, in which case I’d hope everyone can agree on wanting that to end in 2024. 
  • Early School Start Time: I don’t know a single student or teacher who likes the time we start school each day, so I don’t know why they haven’t pushed it back yet. The CDC explains that teens start producing melatonin later at night and need to sleep later in the morning, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes sleep deprivation in adolescents as a public health issue that is largely contributed to by school start times earlier than 8:30 AM. I don’t know why our administration ignores the blatantly obvious facts. 

Everything: I’m not really sure how you’re going to make that happen.