Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

Fast Track and Pre-Apprenticeship

John Olavarria
Fast Track is a program taken here at Barlow that helps students who want to pursue Trades.

Here at Barlow, there are many options for students who want to go to college and aren’t sure what they want to do for their future or how to pay for it. This is when a program like Fast Track comes in. At the College and Career Center, there are many different resources accessible for students to learn what career path they want to take in the near future. Fast Track is a program that allows students to go into trades early and get into an apprenticeship for that trade. 

There are a few requirements to meet if you do decide to do Fast Track, though. Spending 2-3 years in Fast Track helps you get the apprenticeship that you want to go into, depending on what trade you end up doing. For juniors, you will need to have at least one credit in woods or construction coursework with a C or better, and one credit in Integrated 1 or Algebra 1 with a C or better. You would also need to be currently enrolled in a Woods or Construction class as well as be in Integrated 2 math. However, for seniors, you would have to be enrolled or have completed Integrated 1 or 2 with a C or better. You will also need to be enrolled in any construction class and have completed one credit with a C or higher. 

By the end of senior year, you would have earned at least 2 CTE credits in woods or a construction class, completed a resume, and portfolio and have participated in many mock interviews. At the end of this program you would have been enrolled in an apprenticeship, learned general knowledge about your trade, and have also learned how to be safe in a workplace with tools and equipment. There are countless things a person can learn about their trade with this program, it sets them up for success and possibly a career they can follow for the rest of their lives.

Fast Track is a pathway for students to follow and pursue their trade and gain experience. They will have a better chance of getting into a trade than a person who hasn’t done a program like Fast Track. Not only will people gain new skills and experience, but they can also enroll in some construction and business programs. Some of Fast Track’s partnerships include NECA-IBEW (electricians Union), UA 290- Plumbing, Pipefitters, welding), Northwest College of Construction, carpentry, and many more. Anyone can apply to any of these programs, but in the end, it would be easier with experience.

What can you do to prepare yourself for applying to the apprenticeships? Some of the things you could do as of right now to be eligible for this would be joining a construction or metal manufacturing pre-apprenticeships here at SBHS, taking classes such as algebra or trigonometry, building your resume or creating a portfolio, and more. Fast Track is a good program for teens who want to pursue the trade route.