Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

Band All State

Sam Barlow Band on Instagram
Emma Nuttall Weston Glover, Sam Brown, Haley Deleon, Kate Kiperman, and Racheal Popesca at all state band.

On the weekend of January 13th, six Barlow students were selected to participate in the All-State Band Festival: Rachel Popescu on flute, Hailey De Leon on flute, Kate Kiperman on clarinet, Weston Glover on French Horn, Sam Brown on tuba, and Emma Nuttall on bassoon.

Band All-Sate is a selected number of students who audition to be in three bands (Symphonic, Wind, and Orchestra) to perform alongside some of the best high school players in the state. These students usually attain their sheet music 2-3 days beforehand, so that they are able to practice before performing together. Most of All-State is just practicing; however, they do get to perform at the very end. Although, this year was a bit different due to the ice storm. 

High school band students from various schools were stuck in their hotel most of the time, yet they still found a way to entertain themselves and in the end they were able to perform with each other in the lobby. Nuttall said, “I was the only Sophomore from Barlow to audition and I had a blast going even though it was stressful at times.”

Barlow band director Mr. Nickolas was not able to be there, but thankfully the band directors from Gordon Russell (Jenna Gagne) and West Orient Middle School (Ann McBride) were able to step up and help out.