Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

Digital Photography: Barlow’s Newest Offered Elective

Britney Henderson
Mr. Molony enthusiastically shares his vision for the Digital Photography course that will offered at Barlow in the 2024-2025 school year.

After three years of counselors and teachers discussing the possibility of a photography course at Barlow, Digital Photography is officially on the course catalog for the 2024-2025 school year.

Taught by career and technical education (CTE) teacher Steve Molony, Digital Photography is a semester-long introductory course focusing on how to properly use a camera and how to create visually appealing photos. Requiring no prerequisites, the class is available to freshmen through seniors interested in photography either as a hobby or a career.

Molony shares that because the course has been discussed for numerous years, the Gresham-Barlow School district was allotted the proper amount of time to gather funds to purchase equipment. “We will be issued a class set of [Canon] DSLR cameras, a class set of lenses, and other photography studio equipment like lighting setups and backdrops,” Molony specifies.

To create a hands-on learning environment, each student will be issued a camera during the class period that is not to be taken home. Although the main concentration of the class will be on studio photography using the provided classroom equipment, Molony hints at other opportunities to use the Barlow campus at large. If the Oregon weather permits, Molony views the courtyard as the perfect space to focus on nature photography and instruct how to use natural light. 

Then, using what they have learned in class, students can use their phones or personal digital cameras, if they have one, and apply the rules of photography on their own time and cater to their own photography needs.

Depending on the number of students who forecast for Digital Photography, Molony hopes to teach one or two periods of the class and envisions it will “take the pressure off” of other electives. For example, culinary is a popular student-chosen elective, leaving Chef Sam with large class sizes and counselors regularly having to defer students to other classes. Now, the hope is some students will find an interest in photography to reduce these overpopulated classes.

Additionally, enrolling in Digital Photography sets students on a successful path for other electives offered at Barlow. Molony shares that he will be instructing a short segment on how to properly use Photoshop, but if students take a specific liking to it, they can forecast for Graphic Design with Mr. Toth for the next year. Similarly, Digital Photography can serve as a stepping stone, or taken in addition to other prerequisites, for electives offered beginning sophomore year. This way, new staff members for the Yearbook or The Bruin Banner will have prior knowledge of photography and how to use a camera, both of which are crucial skills in each class.

Digital photography is a great new opportunity for students, but Molony is just as exhilarated about what it means for him. “I like trying new things, and this is that new thing,” he shares. A new journey awaits students and Mr. Molony, as next year marks the beginning of what is bound to be a long-time and great elective offered at Barlow.