Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

Come on In To the Counseling Office!

Madelyn Stumbo
Visit the Counselling office at any time! Located across from the wooden stairs

Have problems with your schedule? Not sure if you’re on track to graduate? Want to know how you’re doing or go over your transcript? Head to the counseling office! The counseling office is open to all students and has a variety of different resources. If you ever have any questions or need assistance, you can visit your counselor by scheduling an appointment. 

Many students have experienced firsthand how frustrating it can be to move around their schedule last minute—classes fill up, spots are taken, and many final decisions are based on forecasting. The sooner you schedule an appointment or send an email to fix issues in your schedule, the more likely you will succeed in having the best outcome. When it gets close to the beginning of a new semester, there are fewer options available.  

“When we do forecasting, students should take it seriously… Make sure you put down classes that you think you’d enjoy,” explains Mrs. Boelow. With certain electives in higher demand than others, students should be aware that their alternates will likely end up on their schedules. In the event that you aren’t able to make changes later on or don’t enjoy a class like you thought you would, a TA period can be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card. Students in 10th-12th grade have the option to drop a class and add a TA up to two weeks into each semester. However, some classes, like APs and year-long classes, require administrative approval to drop, unless you fail the first semester. If you’re looking for a new seventh-period class, Mr. Toth will be teaching rec soccer! Email or visit your counselor if you are interested. 

It can be very important to be thinking ahead when forecasting for classes. 11th and 12th graders have the opportunity to have a late arrival or early dismissal, as long as their GPA is high enough. However, not taking a rigorous course load could have detrimental effects down the road, as maintaining good grades in college is very important. Many classes at Barlow offer college credit, but be aware that the grade earned in that class is transferred onto college transcripts. 

Although it may not be super well known, universities will often ask counselors for letters of recommendation. If you plan on going to a 4-year-university, it can be helpful to get to know your counselor early on or schedule an appointment to have a conversation if you know they will be asked by your college to write you a letter of recommendation. 

“Come and find out for sure! If you’re wondering how you’re doing just come and ask questions, and we are happy to help and make sure you’ve got all the information you need,” shared Barlow counselor, Mrs. Boelow. It’s important to ask questions and not make assumptions. The counseling office is a resource available to anyone who needs extra assistance or clarification regarding their schedule, transcript, course load, etc.