Bruin Banner

Bruin Banner

New Marvel Supervillian Actor Accused of Assault

CNN
Jonathan Majors appears in front of the Supreme Court in New York City for harassment and assault charges on June 20.

Actor Jonathan Majors was arrested on March 25th on the accusation that he attacked his then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari in the car. Majors graduated from the Yale School of Drama with a Master of Fine Arts in acting. Majors had his on-screen debut in the Docu-drama When We Rise, and has been nominated for two awards for his role in the film The Last Black Man in San Francisco. Since then, he has landed many strong roles, including Kang, the new big supervillain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Atticus Freeman in Lovecraft Country.

The filing says that on March 25th, they were using a car service to get home to Manhattan from Brooklyn. Jabbari allegedly saw a text on his phone that read “Wish I was kissing you right now,” which prompted her to take the phone. In response to this, Majors grabbed the right side of her body and attempted to pry her middle finger off the phone, grabbed her right arm and hand, twisted her forearm, and then hit her right ear, causing it to split open. After grabbing his phone, he left the car. When Jabbari tried to leave the car, he picked her up and threw her back inside. In April, Majors’ attorney gave an alternate story, claiming that Jabbari had instead gone out clubbing that night, and had passed out in her closet. When she woke up the next morning, she had been covered in bruises, with injuries on both her finger and her ear. Although he was released later that day, the accusations already started to tank his career. 

Soon after it became public, he was removed from two US Army recruiting commercials, and Disney has been downplaying his involvement in current and upcoming MCU projects. Disney has pushed back two Avengers movies, The Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, in which he was supposed to prominently feature as Kang the Conqueror. He has also been dropped by both his public relations and management firms. His reputation has been repeatedly damaged by bad press about his off-screen behavior.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania was released just a month before the incident happened, officially making him the next major supervillain in the MCU. He was introduced as Kang the Conqueror in the first season of Loki. Now, as the second season of Loki airs, with Majors still in a significant role, more action has happened surrounding his case. 

On Wednesday, October 25th, Jabbari was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor criminal mischief. Majors had filed a cross-complaint, which led to her arrest, although, similar to Majors, she was quickly released the same day. On Thursday, a spokesperson for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office stated, “The Manhattan District Attorney’s office has officially declined to prosecute the case against Grace Jabbari because it lacks prosecutorial merit. The matter is now closed and sealed”. The trial has been pushed back multiple times but has currently settled on a date of November 29, 2023.